A badass saber for a badass Jedi.
Oleg: You'd prefer a more manly shade, like purple?
[Pierce, Shaundi, and the Boss all give Oleg approving looks]
— Saints Row: The Third
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Austria of Axis Powers Hetalia invokes this. He not only has Purple Eyes and wears purple a lot of the time, but has Blue Blood influences thanks to the Habsburgs, managed to build a powerful empire through alliances and marriages alone, was the boss of Spain, Italy, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, and was The Man Behind the Man to the Holy Roman Empire. Though in the present he is out of shape and dependent on Germany, Germany points out that his style of fighting was "magnificent," and it's indeed Truth in Television.
- In Berserk, the Empire of Chuder has several themed armies that are identified by both a color and an animal, such as the Black Rams and Blue Whales. The name of their most powerful and esteemed army? The Purple Rhinos.
- In the tv series of Black★Rock Shooter, Insane Black★Rock Shooter has a purple flame instead of the titular character's blue. She is also Nigh Invulnerable to the conventional fights of the series.
- Invoked by Priscilla in Claymore, as her awakened form carries a purple color-scheme while also being the most powerful entity in the setting, sans Teresa.
- Also, Isley, who is the strongest of the Deep Ones, sees a violet aura when he uses his powers, even if he is not seen in his awakened form in the anime.
- Invoked by Lelouch vi Britannia in Code Geass: his suit worn as part of his Zero outfit is predominantly purple (and subsequently, his imperial Britannian robes have noticeable purple highlights as well).
- Dragon Ball Z has several examples of this trope.
- Future Trunks wears a purple jacket and has purple hair. Both Trunks and his father Vegeta have a violet Battle Aura.
- Piccolo wears a purple outfit and has purple blood. His pupil, Son Gohan, also wears purple. When Gohan stops training and grows rusty with his fighting skill, he noticeably stops wearing the color.
- Ginyu, captain and most powerful member of the Ginyu Force, has purple skin.
- Freeza, one of the most formidable villains in the series, has a purple color scheme, and several of his attacks are either purple or pink. Same goes for King Cold and Cooler. His minions have also a purple Battle Aura, Freeza's is blue, but it's sometimes purple when he fights with 100% of his power.
- Cell and Buu, who are, or used to be far more powerful than Freeza, have purple blood.
- The first canon movie villain Beerus, the most powerful villain in the history of Z, has purple skin. He's so powerful that he curb-stomps SSJ3 Goku, SSJ Gotenks, Good Buu and Ultimate Gohan. Heck, he even defeats Goku when the latter becomes a Super-Saiyan God.
- In Dragon Ball Super, Universe 6's most powerful mortal fighter is Hit, who has purple skin. Not only is he physically strong enough to match and potentially defeat Vegeta and Goku post-obtaining their Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan power-up, he's also in possession of one of the most broken powers around: Time-stopping.
- Lyrical Nanoha:
- Lucoa from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a former goddess and her magic circles are purple. Tohru's father also purple magic and is called "The Emperor of Demise".
- The Black Tri-Stars from Mobile Suit Gundam pilot the Zaku II and Dom and utilize the Jet Stream Attack to dispatch their enemies through teamwork. The both suits have purple and black color scheme, which is unique for the Zaku II and standard for the Dom. Way until Amuro showed up, they were proven to be a serious threat to the Earth Federation.
- Tieria Erde from Mobile Suit Gundam 00 pilots the Gundam with the Wave Motion Gun.
- Angelo Sauper from Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn pilots purple machines. His Rosen Zulu is even more powerful — it took down lots of federation suits.
- Gundam Build Fighters Try:
- The Mega-Shiki is a purple-themed Hyaku Shiki from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam that has a Mega Rider/Mega Bazooka Launcher backpack attached to it. It proves its stuff by taking out Gyanko's R-GyaGya, its beam saber cutting through the metal-constructed shield.
- There's also the Denial Gundam, which has purple accented additions on its gray body and unleashes purple energy with its attacks. Its pilot, Junya Inose, uses it to pummel the Try Burning Gundam to a pulp using various martial art techniques he's "stolen" since leaving the Jigen Haoh School.
- In his fight with Sasuke at the Valley of the End, Naruto uses a purple variation of the Rasengan, as a result of the blue sphere of chakra being enveloped and supercharged by his red Tailed Beast aura.
- Sasuke himself also possesses a purple Susanoo armor after he upgrades to Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Humongous Mecha Unit 01, is coloured mostly head-to-toe in a shade of bright violet. While it goes without saying that a beast of that size would be a force to be reckoned with, Unit 01 surpasses all other giant mechas in the series, curb-stomping foes others find impossible to even scratch, shrugging off nuclear-level explosions, and even using its godlike powers to cause a Class 5 or Class 6 apocalypse because it's actually powered by the mind of the protagonist's mother, and the world had upset her son, so she went ballistic.
- In Noir, purple is mainly associated with antagonists, including Altena, Chloe, and Silvana "Intoccabile" Greone, all of whom prove to be highly dangerous.
- Onpu from Ojamajo Doremi was, for a while, the most capable Apprentice, and her theme color is purple. She remains skilled at magic in the later seasons.
- All over the Pretty Cure metaseries:
- Futari wa Pretty Cure:
- Jaaku King is completely purple and he's Large and in Charge. In the sequel, Baldez' body becomes completely purple in the final episode because he is Jaaku King and he has transformed into a small version of Jaaku King. When he transformed completely into Jaaku King, he's more purple than in first season.
- The Zakennas are the largest monsters in the entire Pretty Cure franchise. And their spirits are purple.
- Illkubo uses often purple (dark) energy, and later he fuses with a Zakenna and changes into a purple (than silver) monster. He nearly kills the Precures, but Jaaku King kills him because Illkubo could damage the Prism Stones.
- BelzeiGertrud is the leader and the strongest warrior of the Seeds of Darkness and he has purple as his theme color.
- The Dotsuko Zone in general is associated with purple.
- Cure Egret alias Cure Windy from Futari Wa Pretty Cure Splash Star has purple hair and eyes. Especially as Cure Windy, she is more associated with the color purple and is stronger than her Egret form.
- Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GO!GO!:
- The Sixth Ranger Milky Rose has incredible physical strength compared to the other five girls. She's also the only one who represents the blue rose which is equal to the five red roses represented by the Precures. Her theme color and her hair and is purple.
- Cure Dream, the strongest of the five Cures has Purple Eyes, but has pink as her theme color.
- The Director in Yes! 5 GoGo! has a purple capewhich is actually a pair of wings.
- Cure Berry from Fresh Pretty Cure! has purple hair, despite having blue as her theme color. Well, there is only one Cure in her team who has matching hair and theme colors. Her kicks are the strongest among the team.
- Cure Moonlight from HeartCatch Pretty Cure! has actuallysilver as her theme color, but purple is also a dominating color of hers. Of course, being at least three years older than the other magical girls and being a Precure veteran have made her the strongest Precure of the group.
- Subverted with Cure Beat and Cure Muse from Suite Pretty Cure ♪. Both of them have a different theme color (blue and yellow, respectively), but Beat has purple hair and Muse's Fairy Tone Dodory is purple, the only transformation Fairy Tone that doesn't have the same color that matches the color of the Cure costume. Both, Beat and Muse have powers that differ the powers of the main duo Cure Melody and Cure Rhythm. And Cure Beat's Beat Sonic and Beat Barrier are purple, too.
- Both, Pierrot and Joker are the strongest villains in Smile Pretty Cure! and have purple as their theme color.
- Doki Doki Pretty Cure:
- Cure Fortune of Happiness Charge Pretty Cure is stated in-series to be the strongest of the four main Cures, who are stated to be the strongest in the world, and is purple-themed. However, the series seems to give hints that Cure Fortune's powers are not hers, but her sister's, Cure Tender, who was one of many Cures struck down and captured by the powerful Phantom. A combination of My God, What Have I Done?, Heroic Sacrifice, Heroic Second Wind and Mid-Season Upgrade ends up ramping up her power.
- Cure Magical of Maho Girls Precure is this only by the virtue of having more experience with magic (but not that much) prior to meeting her partner.
- Futari wa Pretty Cure:
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Homura's color scheme is purple, and she's significantly more powerful than the other magical girls. However, Word of God says that she would only be the strongest should the other girls not know about her abilities; he says that either Mami or Kyoko is the strongest Magical Girlbesides Ultimate Madoka.
- In Sailor Moon, Sailor Saturn is heavily associated with the color purple: her uniform has purple accents, her eyes are purple, even her magic is purple. She only awakens when there is a planet to destroy, a civilization to wipe out, or an Elder God to kill, solo. In her entire active history, she has only ever failed once.
- In Saiunkoku Monogatari, the eight main noble families are named after colours, and the royal house is purple.
- Science Ninja Team Gatchaman: Berg Katse always dresses in purple, unless he's in an outright disguise.
- In Senki Zesshou Symphogear G, Miku gets her own Symphogear which is purple. She has the largest arsenal and she is way stronger than other Symphogear users.
- Certain characters who wear purple in Sorieke! Anpanman are thus represented as either magical or powerful in some way — Nazobo since he teleported to the dream world, Yuyakeman since he paints the sunset once the day's done, Princess Durian since she's royalty, and Mrs. Dokudami since she makes healing herbs.
- Ayeka Jurai of Tenchi Muyo! fame has purple hair and also happens to be the crown princess to the galaxy's most powerful royal family. She's actually cheating - her hair's actually blue as she dyed it to impress her brother, Yosho, who actually does have purple hair.
- Tsubasa 's Fai is a very powerful mage - even with his power suppressing tattoo - and his magic is a very light purple. And it kicks serious ass once he decides to use it. He can travel between dimensions more than just once which other than him only Ichihara Yuuko and Fei Wang Reed can do. His magic can also grow infinitely which means he might one day be the most powerful mage ever in existence. It also ties in with the "Royalty wears Purple" aspect that pops up a lot as he is, technically, a prince of not just one but two worlds though one has no inhabitants anymore and the other gets destroyed.
- Vividred Operation: Zigzagged. Rei (a mix between Homura Akemi and Fate Testarossa) has a purple color scheme, but she doesn't have a Palette Suits of her own. However, she's a particularly extreme Badass Normal.
- Yugi's trademark monster Dark Magician and related cards of the archetype wear purple. Throughout the franchise, Fusion monsters use a purple card background and include some of the strongest monsters in the game, such as Thousand-Eyes Restrict (which absorbs an enemy monster to use its power, prevents other monsters from attacking, and had to be banned in the real-life game) and the Five-Headed Dragon (a.k.a. Mythic Dragon, which has the highest stats of any monster out there, and can't be destroyed by battle with most monsters even if they do somehow become stronger than it is).
- Among his assortment of cool coats, Seta Kaiba has a few purple-colored ones, most prominently wearing one during the Duelist Kingdom arc.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V: Yuya and his Alleged Lookalikes all have a Dragon with a different summoning method as their ace method. While Yuya's Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon, Yuto's Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon, and Yugo's Clear Wing Synchro Dragon all have 2500 ATK, Yuri's Starve Venom Fusion Dragon has 2800. Starve Venom is primarily purple in reference to purple-colored Fusion Monster cards.
- The second Yo Kai Watch movie introduces King Enma, the king of the yokai world and most powerful yokai in existence. Naturally his medal is colored a unique metallic purple.
- The Huntress, a part of the Batman comics' Bat Family, is almost always depicted wearing purple. She's one of the only members of the Bat Family that doesn't wear all black.
- The third Batgirl, Stephanie Brown, also has purple on her costume, and as Spoiler it's the primary color. She seems to fit the "feminine" aspect of this trope.
- Barbara Gordon's Batgirl uniform as of the 2011 reboot also has purple accents, though considerably less than Stephanie's.
- Catwoman occasionally wore purple as a part of her Spy Catsuit. Originally, from the Golden Age to decades after, until the catsuits/spysuits became the permanent costume, her traditional outfit was a purple dress.
- Talia al Ghul, similar to Catwoman, is an on-again, off-again lover of Batman who is a sometimes a hero and sometimes a villain, and occasionally wears purple as the primary color of her costume.
- ElfQuest: The mighty Djun in the "Hidden Years" and "Shards" storylines wears lots of purple.
- Galactus: He is viewed differently by all races, and it is stated that humans see him in purple attire because we link the colour to royalty.
- The Hulk has purple shorts.
- The Joker, with his notorious purple suit and tails, is feared throughout The DCU's underworld.
- Magneto's costume is (royal) purple and red (for the blood of the victims he saw die in Auschwitz and afterwards).
- Starfire of the Teen Titans wears bejeweled purple leotards and monokinis.
- Black Orchid, a super-powered detective, wears an all-purple superhero costume.
- As the mainstream Venom looks very dark blue, Ultimate Marvel's Venom looks dark purple.
- In Watchmen, Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias' trademark colours are purple and gold.
- Psylocke, the badass ninja of the X-Men, wears purple (in addition to her purple hair).
- Played with in Kate Bishop (Hawkeye of the Young Avengers) — she's the only one on both incarnations of the team without a fantastic or supernatural power, backstory, or enhancement note at least until a depowered Prodigy comes along, but even he had all the knowledge he accumulated as a mutant to back him up, but this doesn't stop her from being one of the best marskmen in the world. She's also the only character to dress head-to-toe in purple.
- Marvel Comics villain Zebediah Killgrave's, the Purple Man, Mind Control powers are tied into his color scheme, as we've seen in Alias. He also has a daughter, Kara, who can do the same. Her name's the Purple Woman.
- The Star Sapphires wield the violet light of Love, and their costumes are normally the same colour. Their rings are among the most powerful weapons and tools in the Universe.
Да в шифровалке темно как в аду, черт тебя дери. - Может быть, Стратмор решил посмотреть на звезды. - Джабба, мне не до шуток. - Ну хорошо, - сказал он, приподнимаясь на локтях.